The AfGWG is an AFRINIC initiative to work with African governments and regulators from the ICT sector to address general Internet governance challenges in Africa. The first AfGWG Meeting was held in January 2010.
The AFRINIC Government Working Group (AfGWG) provides a platform for open and interactive discussions between the AFRINIC community, African governments and ICT regulators. Collaboration between African ICT stakeholders is important in view of the steady growth of the Internet and its impact on the socio-economic development in the region. The rapid growth and development of the Internet in Africa calls for an enhanced collaboration between ICT policy makers on issues of critical interest to the continent.
The AfGWG is an opportunity for Governments and Regulators to take stock of current and new activities/initiatives (IPv6 deployment, capacity and training programmes) as well as outcomes of important meetings and negotiations at both regional and international levels. This initiative also enables the sharing of regional/international best practices and helps in establishing appropriate ICT programmes to address African needs in terms of IP resources.
This collaboration provides the African competent authorities including ICT regulators an insight into the management of IP resources in the region.
Objectives of the Working Group
1. To strengthen the collaboration between the AFRINIC community, African Governments and Regulators to promote sustainable and secure Internet development in Africa
2. To collaboratively address general Internet governance challenges faced in Africa, in particular those related to Internet number resources.
The first AfGWG Meeting was held in 2010 in Ebene, Mauritius. Subsequently, nine more meetings have been held back to back with AFRINIC Public Policy Meetings:
- Ebene, Mauritius - November 2014
- Djibouti, Rebulic of Djibouti - June 2014
- Côte D'Ivoire, Abidjan - November 2013
- Zambia, Lusaka - June 2013
- Sudan, Khartoum - November 2012
- The Gambia, Serekunda – May 2012
- Cameroon, Yaoundé – November 2011
- Tanzania, Dar es Salaam – June 2011
- South Africa, Johannesburg – November 2010
- Rwanda, Kigali – June 2010
Additional information on the AfGWG is available at: http://meeting.afrinic.net/afgwg
For more information, please contact us via afgwg [@] afrinic.net